Friday, July 19, 2013

Hymn post: "Just as I am"

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not,
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fear within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

I love the simplicity of this hymn and the truth it reflects in our relationship with God. All we have is who we are – lost, messed up, rotten and broken with nothing to offer to God in exchange for the salvation of our souls. We are not in a position to barter. We can’t even offer Him the promise of being ‘good’ and obedient the rest of our lives if He saves us because we a)Know ourselves b)Don’t know about tomorrow’s trials and temptations 

Yet knowing all this – our weakness, our brokenness and mess, He simply says, come. He says come as you are…not as you hope to be.



Whether as a sinner turning to God for the first (or gazillionth umpteenth time) or as a child of God who has strayed briefly (or for a WHILE), the offer is the same: "I know you in and out, I know the mess – Come to me and receive my forgiveness, my grace, my love and my restoration."


No comments:

Post a Comment